Saturday, June 4, 2011

100 Things

During my hiatus from the blog world, I have morphed into someone I'm beginning not to recognize.  Maybe it was my oldest graduating that propelled me into analyzing what was truly important in this world, and what was just "pretty clutter"...Ok...maybe it also had something to do with the vast amount of time it took to dust, polish and put away said clutter before family arrived for the occasion! 

Obviously she can't believe that they actually gave her a diploma...we were on the same page for once!


Now, don't get me wrong...I'll be the first to admit that I love my things.  Purses.  Willow Trees.  Shoes.  Clothes.  Everything shiny and pretty, truth be told.  Stuff.  I'm tired of it!  Things to dust, pick up, put away, or that fall on your head when you open your closet...and when you live in a hundred year old house with only 2 closets for 6 people, well... stuff starts to rule your life!

I'm done!  Not only is this cluttering my house, but my time, energy, and mind, that I've decided I'd rather spend on family & friends (ok...I already do this, which would explain the condition of my house).   I got off to a great start by donating 13 trash bags of books to our local high school and giving a friend 8 bags of clothes my kids have outgrown.  I can't even say I had good reason to hold onto any of it!  My kids certainly aren't shrinking, and I've been known to overbuy a time or two in my life.

Luckily, I bookmarked a web page not too long ago on this subject.  Get Rid of Clutter is a great read, and if you're on board, head to the 100 Thing Challenge blog, where blogger Dave Bruno shares his journey.  I'm a woman on a mission. 





What can't be sold, will be donated accordingly.  I can't say I can narrow it down to 100 possessions, but I just might try...of course beads, yarn and clay are NOT included in my new zen lifestyle.  It may take me years to dig through all of my things, and just as long to wrestle the hundreds of McDonald's toys  from their graveyard (read: bottom of the toy box) and out of my childrens' grubby little hands, where I'm sure they'll try to win me over with their dashing smiles, but it's something I need to do in order to move on to the next stage of life....because truth be told all I need is my family and friends....and beads...oh  and COFFEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment