Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cheryl's Heart

Recently, a dear friend asked me to create a brooch.  She's had so many mountains to climb in just a few short months, and I didn't want to let her down, or fall miserably short.  She gave me complete free reign...which, as an artist is music to my ears, but knowing how much this meant to her, I was more than a little leary to say the least.  Her only request was that it was red, and was heart shaped....gosh, I love her!!

I sat down in my studio...and my mind was blank.  I had nothing.  Nada.  What in hell was I thinking taking this on?  I know her husband is in the military...so I had my jumping off point.  I Gathered up supplies and ...Surprise!  I only had a smidge of red clay...typical...why did I think it would be any different?  I knew I only had one shot.  Living in The Boonies has it's drawbacks...like...I don't know...no craft stores....or any other store for that matter!

I mixed what red I had with my last block of translucent and threw in a little copper for effect...and said a silent prayer...it would have to do...providing the color didn't turn all wonky while curing.  Before I even started kneading I had an overwhelming need to literally call out "It's just You and me, Lord.  I only have one chance, and my hands ache so badly with carpal tunnel today...so, now...let's roll!"

Surprisingly, ideas came at me from somewhere out in left field.  I soon was lost within this creation, my hands no longer ached (and haven't since, come to think of it), and I actually believe I lost track of the world around me if only for a moment. 

So, without further ado...





Now let me explain.  Those mountains she is climbing, involve her heart in more ways than one.  You see, her husband had just had a massive heart attack, and a few days before her request, she lost her father to a heart attack.  Two of the men she keeps so close to her heart are  hanging on their respective "half" of her heart.  His military beret & the halo and wings.

Although, I have to date, never made anything as meaningful, I hope I never have the opportunity to do so again.  This was truly a work of divine intervention...and I collected on the agreed upon payment...(a hug and a moment to catch up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment